Monday, August 10, 2009

Article Marketing (A Subset of Link Building)

Writing articles about your topic of interest and sending them

out to article directories, other websites, and eZines to

publish is an almost ideal way to gain free advertising. I really

can’t recommend it enough for long-term link building campaigns. All you need is

time & writing skills for this self-compounding method to make your website one

of the most respected and authoritative sites on the net.

I realize that this method has been out in the open and even done to death over

the last couple of years, especially with the popular trend called “Bum Marketing,”

however I find that a lot of people who have tried Article Marketing quickly give it

up before seeing any success.

It seems that everyone sets out writing articles, no matter if they do it themselves

or pay someone to do it for them, by submitting one or two articles to the main

article directories found in the more popular article submission software suites,

such as Brad Callen’s

great, free

Article Submitter

software.

Some sort of article submission software is pretty much necessary because it

can take a long time to submit an article to even a handful of websites… The

automation that all of these softwares offer are

not

just ‘set-it and forget it,’ and

you Don’t want them to be! The way that the Article directories are set up, you

will most definitely still have to go to each site and make sure it populates all the

right fields properly. (But the software makes that much faster.)

The main problem that people have with any article submission software is that

when most people first try them, (I am certainly guilty of this myself) they want to

‘test the waters’ to see if the technique works or not before they commit to it fully.

With most purchases you make in your life, this is a fair strategy -

but not when it

comes to an article submission campaign.

The real benefit in sending out your

articles is by doing it in bulk, over time.

What proponents of Article Marketing have so far failed to tell me (but I learned

for myself the hard way) is that one or two articles out there pointing back to my

website, no matter how many directories I send it to, is only going to help an itsy-

bitsy, teeny weenie bit, and then slowly fizzle away.

More than likely it won’t even send a single visitor to my site… It will only help my

PageRank a bit, for a while.

This of course assumes that I haven’t gotten it published by an eZine owner who

has a really big list… Since there is no way to be sure that you can get it

published by an eZine owner with lots of influence, we won’t depend on it for this

example. Think of that as a surprise bonus you can sometime get with this

system, if it happens at all.

The way to surely suc ceed with articles is to have an article submitted to all the

directories EVERY WEEK, all linking back to the sam e website. This of course

takes time and patience, which is the only reason that so many people fail at this

strategy.

I don’t feel it’s worth my time every single week to write and submit an article, I’ve

got more important things to do with my life. Worse yet, I’ve so far made a living

from informational AdSense publishing (VRE) sites, so running an article

campaign for each of these 250+ small websites is simply impossible.

However, over the last year I’ve tested 10 different campaigns of article

submission for 10 of those sites, and the one result they all had in common was

that bulk, regular submissions are the key.

I hired someone on rent-a-coder to submit my articles for me once a week for 3

months, and right now (4 months later) a few of those sites are #1 in Google with

no other promotion except for link directory submissions.

It’s a prime example of the tortoise and the hair… But in the first and second

months of the campaign, I was sure my turtle was asleep!

For more advanced instruction on Article Marketing specifics, I even made a film

walking you through the process. You can check that out here:

How to Generate Serious Website Traffic with Article Marketing

Enjoy!

No comments: